Island Musings

Ramblings of an islandgirl

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Fernando, Trinidad & Tobago

Hi,just a regular islandgirl enjoying life and all its beauty! Make the most of every day..it is a gift!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Best Summer Holiday Ever!!

Well now that the 'Summer Holidays' are more than half way through (sniff, sob, sniffle) and I finally have a chance to sit and write, I have a huge grin on my face thinking about all the fun we've had so far this summer.

This is the first year in about 6 years that I have actually been 'home' and not stuck in a horrible, depressing office pushing paper aimlessly around, while my kids are out enjoying the fun. For the first time in a long time I am truly happy. You see, earlier this year my whole world and life flipped upside down then, through a miraculous chain of events, I became an Art Teacher. Which goes to prove that every dark cloud has its silver lining. Laughter can come from tears.

This year has led me in directions I had never dreamed possible, and I can safely say I have found the job I was probably meant to do all my life. I love being able to help kids see the beauty in the world around them. I love seeing them play and explore and dream. I love seeing them be KIDS and make mess and create, and I love seeing them free to express themselves and believe in magic in this age of violence and video games. I love my art room...


When I first started at school in May it was basically a junk room. Everything was there, but it was in such a mess and so dark and dingy you didn't feel like walking into it. After much elbow grease, a coat of paint and lots of sweat it has finally become a proper Art Room. The kids are thrilled and I am thrilled. Everything is nicely organised now and the kids love to come spend time in it. In fact I can never get them out!

This year they had their first ever art exhibition at the end of term - even though I had only been with them for 2 months. They had never seen their work displayed before and they were all so proud. Parents came up to me and said that they never even knew that the school HAD an art room. It felt good to know that I made a difference. I hope to continue making a difference. I love what I do. I am excited!

But.. back to my summer theme - one of the very best things about being an Art Teacher at a private primary school is 2 months paid summer vacation! WOOO HOO!! (and also Christmas and Easter) Thing is though, even if I didn't have holidays I would still be deliriously happy. I love what I am doing now, I love my job, I love the school and I love the kids, and I can't wait to start the new term in September. The holidays are just the icing on the cake!

This holiday has just been layers and layers of icing for me. To start it all off we successfully pulled off our '20 year' school reunion. On July 4th, 2008 at Prive in San Fernando the SJC San Fernando Class of 1988 got together to catch up, laugh, cry and shake some serious booty!




It took two years of searching, thousands of emails and hundreds of phone calls but we did it! And boy was it amazing! Some of us had not seen each other for 20 years, some of us see each other every week. Some of us came from overseas, some from right around the corner. Some of us ate, chatted and danced the night away and some of us could not be there but sent our email greetings anyway. We all reconnected. There were tears, there was laughter. It was wonderful. It was great to see all of my 'sisters' again. All of us a little older (but still looking damn hot!), a little wiser and a lot more forgiving of each other and ourselves. We have become phenomenal women. Gone are the giggly, shy, insecure young girls and in their place are beautiful, strong, confident women. I feel honoured to be a part of this incredible group of ladies. We had a wonderful night of partying, then a lovely family day at La Vega estate topped off by a relaxing 'girls' lime at Blanchissuese a week later.

And then it got better! On the 8th of July I celebrated my 37th year of arrival on this planet. There was cake - lots of cake (!), there were flowers, there was dinner and wine - even a birthday serenade -and tons of love from my family and friends. I am so very blessed! Having a birthday at the beginning of summer holidays just ROCKS (according to Sam) We share our birthday - and yes Sam, I agree it ROCKS!!


Since then we've enjoyed being down the islands with Nan, Sean and the boys, football in the rain, painting at Nan's studio, lots and lots of hours spent in traffic (drawing, singing, farting) and taking the boys to sailing camp, feeding baby manicou - Nan and I dug worms out of the garden for them today, our new puppy Vinnie (never mind he's as deaf as a stone), eating lots and lots and lots of birthday cake and other things totally sinful, reading, sculpting in Bunty's pottery - generally relaxing and having a wonderful holiday. I am looking forward to Mayaro next week for our annual "girls and kids lime" NO NAGGY HUSBANDS ALLOWED! Debs dig out the scrabble board, Kels bring the wine, Suzie start digging out the sunblock, Nan buy the pancake mix and dust of the griddle.. Paradise here we come!!!



Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I'm so happy for you with this job! I hope that when I have to go back out to work it will be to something that I love and not just another wuk to pay the bills.

And yeah, your summer this year was Fab!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Ndinombethe said...

Nothing better than loving your job.

Art is so so so important. That's why I love St. Andrew's. They've always focussed on art and sports as well as all the rest. Art competitions and/or exhibitions give those kids whose strengths lie elsewhere a chance to shine. Love hearing about how proud your kids were... yay for you!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home